Thursday, June 28, 2012

Uh-Oh: Mommy's a hot mess

I love that Madi is starting to talk. She is learning new words everyday and it makes me so proud. One of her favorite words is Uh-Oh. She uses it all the time. Let me highlight for you the various ways she uses and abuses her favorite word.

Appropriate Usage
I taught her Uh-Oh and the appropriate usage. So her sippy cups accidently gets knocked off her high chair - Uh-Oh. She trips and falls - Uh-Oh. It took a while for her to catch on but eventually she would use it on her own. She would even say it for other people. If Baby Cadence drops her binki, Madi takes it upon herself to say Uh-Oh for her then she is determined to shove it back in (after taking a suck herself). If I drop a piece of laundry she screams UH-OH, ma-ma UH-OH. She takes her Uh-Oh duties seriously and has become the Queen of Uh-Oh.

Serious Uh-Oh

Sneaky Usage
She has discovered that Uh-Oh is sort of an excuse. Its a free pass if you will. She now throws her sippy cup then looks at me and says Uh-Oh. She flings food across the room - but wait, here it comes - Uh-Oh she says sweetly as if to say "I have no idea how that happened". I am trying to teach her that when something is done on purpose, it no longer possesses an Uh-Oh quality but she is sticking to her guns on that one. A lot of her purposeful Uh-Ohs are experimental in nature. What happens when I throw my binki in the car? Uh-Oh. What happens when I shove my hand in my poopy diaper? Uh-Oh. What happens when I open the cubbord I'm not supposed to get into? Uh-Oh.

Accusatory Usage
One day Madison came running up to me screaming Uh-Oh in her usual obsessive Uh-Oh nature. She was pointing at a freckle on her hand. She shoved it in my face and continued to scream Uh-Oh. I told her its a freckle and Mommy has some too. They are part of our bodies and can't be rubbed off. She insisted on trying to rub it off and she still says Uh-Oh when she notices it. Then in the car she noticed that when she moves her fingers and hands in a certain way, she gets wrinkles in her knuckles and wrists. UH-OH she screams to Ashley. UH-OH! Poor child, she has wrinkles and freckles. Then she started noticing things on other people (primarily Mommy). She will sometimes get in an Uh-Oh mood and point out all my flaws. Freckle. Uh-Oh! A real wrinkle. Uh-Oh! A spot on my face. Uh-Oh! My baby belly. Uh-Oh! My dark roots. Uh-Oh! My nail polish is chipping. Uh-Oh. My knees. Uh-Oh (not sure why she deemed them Uh-Oh worthy). After an afternoon of my on again off again Uh-Oh monster, I said, "Yes, Madi, Mommy is a hot mess, I know."  
Her calculating Uh-Oh look
God does not make Uh-Ohs. Whew. What a relief. It's good to know that I am not a mistake and you aren't either (just don't ask Madison to assess you).

"You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother's womb" Psalm 139:13

God didn't make a mistake when making us. All my freckles and wrinkles are part of his perfect design. Someday when Madi is older and it breaks my heart to see her being hard on herself as all girls do, I hope I can convince her that God made her perfect. Imagine if we all had the strength to tell ourselves that we are beautiful and lovely because God made us in his image? Don't believe the lies, He did not make a mistake with you and He thinks you are amazing. You are not an Uh-Oh.

Every girl should listen to this amazing song by JJ Heller called all the beauty:

1 comment:

  1. Sophia's version is "Oh, no" used when there is an accident or thing just aren't going her way.

    ReplyDelete