Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Father's Day

I am gonna take a break from the polls to talk about Dads - but please keep on voting for next week.

I have an awesome Dad who I respect and love a lot. The great things about him are what a hard worker he is, how he loves cookie dough and tacos and Disneyland (all things I love too). When he tucked us in at night, he smelled like toothpaste. I remember how he treated my mom well and loved us so much. I remember him and my mom telling us kids that we can do anything we want - and I believe them. I remember his clothes that he wears for 10 years at a time (despite buying him new clothes). I remember his jokes and how we all laughed at them because they weren't funny. He is pretty awesome.
Me and my Dad
I remember when I was a teen wondering if I would ever meet someone as good as my dad that I would want to marry and have be a dad to my kids.

I found the perfect guy. Fatherhood suits him well. One of the best pieces of advice I ever received was to let Mike do his thing with Madi and form a bond with her - without my interference.  He certainly does his own thing with her and I love it (most of the time). Let me share some reasons why my husband is a great Dad.

#1 - He knows how to dress her
Mike has always been eager to help with Madi. I remember getting ready for church one Sunday when she was about 3 or 4 weeks old. Now if you have had a baby you know finding clothes to fit a post-baby body is not always easy. Maternity clothes look kinda silly and pre-baby clothes are too tight. So while I was having a closet meltdown, he offered to get Madi dressed. I had a dress with tights and shoes and bow laid out for her. I was all consumed with my own dressing dilemma that I let him fend for himself for about 10-15 min before I heard a Daddy-tights meltdown happening at the same time as my closet meltdown. I looked over and he had put the bloomers on first then the onesie then the tights. He was trying to put the tights on like a pair of jeans - one leg at a time. So he got his first lesson on girl clothes. We both ended up laughing and he now remembers tights first then bloomers.
The very first church outfit that Mike tried
Since then he as dressed her countless times. Sometimes its on backwards, but at least its on. The biggest issue I have with how he dresses her is that it doesn't match. I asked him once, how did you pick that outfit? He told me he holds Madison upside down over her drawer and lets her grab stuff. Well, that explains it. So if you ever see her and she doesn't match just remember that she had a good time picking it out.
One of the best examples of a mismatched outfit

#2 She makes him laugh
She makes him laugh harder than anyone else. Everything she does is the best thing ever. Every new trick or accomplishment is amazing and he just loves it. She can do something funny 100 times over again and he is still laughing at it like its the first time.

#3 Patience & Fun
I think for some reason, in my experience, Daddys have more patience. I love to play with Madison and make her laugh and do toddler stuff with her . . . to a point. Mike can do them all day long. We have a blow up duck tub that we used when she was smaller. They use it now for "duck tours." Over and over and over and over he will drag her around the house in this duck.

He loves to make up games and activities for them to do together:


#4 Love at first sight
I could go on and on but if there is one picture that embodies how much my husband loves his little girl, its this one.
The first time he held her
The love and devotion that he has for her was present from the very first day they laid eyes on each other. I am so thankful for what a great father my husband is.


What's crazy to think about is how our heavenly father loves us even more than any earthly father possibly could.

"For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

There is no way to earn God's love, he already loves me and you - so much that he died for the chance to get to save us. We just have to receive the gift of love from Him.

If you have questions or want to know more about how to receive that gift, please contact me - there is nothing better - in the whole world - than knowing God and his love for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment