Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Sing a New Song

I don't like change. There's just something about me that tends to resist it. I have always liked routine and tradition and all my ducks in a row. If you know me - you know that. Looking back, there are few changes that I was really excited about. Things like graduations, getting married, buying a house and being a mom. Even in those changes, not everything is a fun change. Harder school work, learning to live with another person, a mortgage, and the unknown adventure of motherhood.

Being a new mom has brought an enormous amount of change in my life. Most of it is amazing. Looking at my daughter's face in the morning as she is calling for me, teaching her new words, showing her how things work, and feeling so proud when she remembers something or calls something by the right word. Watching her explore her world and discover things brings the most intense satisfaction and joy to my life.

Ready to explore!
 Now lets talk a minute about the changes that aren't so awesome. I have less time to be organized, I am tired pretty much all the time, I don't cook or grocery shop as often, and the one that really gets my ducks-in-a-row nature: My house is a complete disaster. Madison is like baby Hulk, she destroys everything in her path. As a result, I have had to change how my house is set up and decorated.  If you see any of my pictures on facebook, you will note that the background is bound to have a random shoe, or article of clothing or toy or a kitchen stacked with dishes. My ducks are no longer in a row. I can't even find them. They might be dead.

Perfect example of messy house picture:
 note the random toys and raisins on the floor, I think thats half a bottle too.


Maybe some moms don't have this problem, but I would imagine every mom would have some area of change that really gets them. The second key I have found to being a mom is to Sing a New Song.

"He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see what he has done and be amazed. They will put their trust in the Lord." Psalm 40:3

"Sing a new song to the Lord! Let the whole earth sing to the Lord!" Psalm 96:1

There are many songs and scriptures that talk about singing a new song. I don't know what it meant to the psalmist but recently when I was singing a song with those lyrics, I knew that being a mom was my new song. I have decided that my house is just gonna be messy. And thats ok. (now, I have to tell myself that over and over sometimes) It is more important to God and Madison and Mike that I am a mother who invests in my child and loves on her.

I still have days where I just really want time to clean my house (actually, how about it magically cleans itself while I catch up on some sleep). But, when I wake up in the morning and decide that my new song is going to be one of thankfulness and love and messy house, I have a wonderful mommy day. Those days when I can sing my new song to the fullest are the best days on earth!


No comments:

Post a Comment