Thursday, May 10, 2012

Trust

Being a mom changes things. It starts off slow, you gain weight. You feel terrible. Something kicks you from the inside. But we don't care about these things because you know what you are getting in return. The minute you see that little thing that's been causing you all that discomfort, you would do it all again.

My sweet, sweet little girl

I am almost 15 months into being a mom and I have observed some things. As I was laying in bed the other night with baby number 2 kicking the crap out of my uterus and watching my husband sleep, I thought I might share some things I have learned, am learning and have discovered about being a mom. Sometimes it helps knowing you're not alone, or learning from others, or just laughing at other people's experiences. This is the purpose of my blog, if nothing else, be amused by me trying it.

I am not the type of mom I thought I would be. No matter what you are told or prepare for, there are things you can't predict about being a mom. The other day at my brother's baseball game I watched my daughter lick dried gum off the bleachers. Before I was a mom, if I saw a little one do that I would have probably said something to myself like, "I would never let MY kid do that." Well there you go pre-mom Asheena, there's your kid licking gum off the bleachers. Naturally, I stopped her - don't worry all you pre-moms. But there was a certain part of me that was like, "well at least she's occupied."

Gum Licker

Anyway, I can't predict what will happen and things rarely go my way so I have discovered one thing about being a mom and am daily learning it: TRUST. I choose to trust that God has a plan and his plan is better than mine. After all, he gave her to me and he loves her more than I ever could - which by the way must be an insane amount because I love her more than my life.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take." Proverbs 3:5-6

"For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

I know that those days when I have the greatest job in the world and my joy is matched with my frustration, God is there for me. In the easy days, and the gum licking days, he designed my life to look like this in this moment and I trust that he will carry me through.

No comments:

Post a Comment